Friday, July 20, 2012

From my heart

Spending time with Grandparents and Great-grand parents helps set your mind back on what is important for your family.  I am reminded of particular things that  are important in these present moments: Keeping up the struggle toward becoming more Christ-like in all situations... especially with little ears and little eyes close by paying attention to how I handle hard moments and disagreeable people, Working at a family prayer life, Setting good habits in my children by example and loving discipline, these things may seem hard now,  but it is how my husband and I set up a strong foundation for our children to build upon.
 I listened to my Grandfather's stories about marriage and all the hard work he had to do to support a family of 10 kids.  I wish I could have known my Grandma to ask her how she did it with all those children.  I ask her to pray for me up in heaven.   
Last night, I was up with the baby and my two oldest children.  My husband is sick and gone to bed and all our guests were gone to bed too.  I sat with them laying their heads on my lap. I read out loud from a book about motherhood that I would have been reading anyway.  I thought it would make them sleepy.  They listened and asked lots of questions about love and the sacrifices we make in little ways (and sometimes big) to grow and sustain that love. A bible verse came up, one they have heard before, but in those precious quiet moments last night they heard it with new ears.  (I love when that happens)  "A new commandment I give to you,  that you love one another; even as I have loved you" John 13:34   Wow! They got it- Jesus, who gave his life for us, is asking us to love each other this same way.  A tall order!   Blessed Teresa of Calcutta says of this verse: "These words should not only be a light to us, but also a flame consuming the selfishness which prevents the growth of holiness. Jesus loved us to the end, to the very limit of love, the Cross.  Love must come from within- from our union with Christ- an outpouring of our love for God.  Loving should be as normal to us a living and breathing, day after day until our deaths."
Going to bed at a decent hour and getting up before my family are sacrifices.  Honestly, I really have a hard time with those things (on normal day, minus sick kids) I know that when I do those things they help me be a better mother with more patience.  A small loving act that drives me toward "consuming the selfishness which prevents the growth of holiness"  Driving my car in a lawful respectful manner  and keeping myself from making negative comments about other drivers is a small loving act I can do to teach my children peace of mind in all situations. Holding my tongue when I disagree with other parents and their parenting styles, is a great way to teach my children charity in dealing with those that my not be like us, but instead to bring our loving family environment, with us, from our home, as a  peaceful example that need not be arrogant or judgmental.  So I throw these things out there-  and I step forward drawing on the grace God gives me in my vocation as mother, starting new, with new eyes and a smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment